December was a busy month for Maverick Toastmasters. I was away most of November and there was no meeting the week of Christmas. Maverick Toastmasters hosted a white elephant holiday party on December 12, 2017 in place of the regular meeting.
We started out the new year on January 2, 2018 with a group trip to see Zoo Lights. Our first official meeting of 2018 was January 9, 2018 with the topic of A Whole New World.
Earl Schreiner gave an amazing Icebreaker Speech at this meeting. Earl was born in Honduras and he has led such an interesting life that we are all looking forward to hearing his next speech. This was followed by Emi Bauer’s recitation of a passage from a novel written by Patrick Rothfuss. I enjoyed her interpretation so much that I bought the book.
The TLI leadership training is happening now! There is one more session in Phoenix on January 19, 2018 at 6p.m in Scottsdale. If you have not already attended, I would encourage our officers to attend. I attended the first session. At TLI I saw a few old friends, plus I had the opportunity to meet some new ones. The best part of this experience was that I walked away with some great tips on how to enhance the Toastmasters experience.
On January 16, 2018 Maverick Toastmasters is hosting an open house. This will provide an opportunity for anyone who is curious about Toastmasters to meet the officers and ask questions before the regular meeting.
Maverick Toastmasters Open House:
Tuesday, January 16, 2018 6:15 – 6:45pm.
Location is Sun Valley High School located on the NE corner of Lindsay and Gilbert Road in Gilbert.
Snacks provided compliments of Michael Milan from Oak for less.
I look forward to another year of great speeches, meeting new friends, and wonderful adventures with my fellow Toastmasters.
Happy New Year to all.
A lot has been happening with our Maverick Toastmasters over the last month. Not only are the temperatures dropping a few degrees, but the Maverick Toastmasters Club has been very busy.
At every meeting we present a word of the day. Anyone who fails to use the word during the meeting would feed our beloved kitty with a nickel. Kitty had a slight accident and is no longer able to perform her role. However, one of our members brought Piggy to join the group. Piggy likes to dress in her finest clothes and she is such a fan of Maverick Toastmasters that she even sports a Maverick tattoo!
Our very own Liz Shaw won the humorous speech contest at the area level and moves on to compete at the district level. Way to go Liz!!!!
Michael Milan was presented with his Advanced Leader Communication Certificate.
On October 24, 2017 Maverick Toastmasters hosted their annual Spooky Tales Contest. This was a family friendly event with good food, fun, and everyone is welcome to sign up to share a scary story. The MC was Elvira, also known as Liz Shaw. We owe a huge thank you to Liz for helping to make the evening so much fun!
We had some amazing speakers, and some incredible costumes. The winning speech was delivered by a future Toastmaster, Riley Feld. Her brother Jack Feld won best costume. Additional prizes were handed out for Scariest costume, Creative costume, Guest Participation, and best overall costume.
A Speech a Thon on October 31, 2017.
There will be a special presentation on first meeting in November to cover the new Pathways system that Toastmasters will be implementing.
Wishing everyone a safe and Happy Halloween!
Maverick Toastmasters held it’s Humorous Speech Contest on August 22, 2017. We had the opportunity to listen to several seasoned speakers deliver speeches that had everyone laughing.
Contest chair Deb Moore
Contest Manager Steve Feld
Chief Judge Emi Bauer
Although all of the speeches were wonderful, there can only be one winner.
The winning speech “Too Much Lettuce” was delivered by Liz Shaw
Congratulations to Liz on making us all laugh.
Maverick has a Spooky tales Contest on October 24, 2017. This is a family friendly event with food and good company. All are welcome to attend. The location and time will be published soon.
Maverick Toastmasters is a group that encourages members to improve speaking skills in a positive supportive environment. I must say that it has been an exciting Summer for Maverick Toastmasters.
In June, Maverick Toastmasters celebrated three years as a Distinguished Toastmaster Club. The celebration was at Gilbert Historical Museum with good food, great company, and some guest speakers from District 3.
In July, the new officers for 2017 to 2018 Maverick Toastmasters stepped into their new roles:
Steve Feld- President
Ashley Barnett -Seargent at Arms
Deborah Moore – VP of Education
Lauren Castillo – VP Membership
Cheryl Cheng – Secretary
Bob Rinne – Treasurer
Rahul Ayer – VP of Public Relations
On August 22, 2017 there will be Humorous Speech Contest hosted by Maverick Toastmasters. The Location will be at Sun Valley High School on Lindsay and Southern in Gilbert Arizona. Feel free to attend and hear some great speeches!
On October 24, 2017 Maverick Toastmasters will be hosting their annual Spooky Tales Speech Contest. It will be an evening of costumes, great food, good company, and some spooky stories! Watch for more information on this in September!
Rumor has it that on Halloween night Maverick Toastmasters will host a speech-a-thon. All are welcome to come listen to some great speeches! More to come on this in September.
This is a placeholder for this meeting date so the secretary can enter the information for this meeting when she finds her notes!
October 11, 2016 Maverick Club Meeting at Sun Valley High School – ? total in attendance including ? guests
Sergeant At Arms Rahul I. called the meeting to order, led the pledge and the club mission statement, and introduced the Presiding Officer, Vice President Education Deb M.
- Deb M. “”
Competent Communication Manual, Project #
(Evaluated by )
- Emi B. “50 Shades of Blue”
Competent Communication Manual, Project #4: How to Say It
(Evaluated by )
- Paul T. “”
Competent Communication Manual, Project #
(Evaluated by )
- Toastmaster –
- Topicmaster –
- General Evaluator –
- Wordmaster –
Word of the Day:
- Grammarian –
- Ah Counter –
- Timer –
- Word of Wisdom –
- Jokemaster –
- Most Effective Evaluator:
- Best Table Topics Speaker:
- Speech of the Day:
- Spark Plug Award:
President Deb M. closed out the meeting.
Business & Reports:
Meeting called to order at 8:44 pm.
Attendance: Michael M., Mike B., Emi B., Karen R., Deb M., Winona P., and Rahul I.
Vice President Education (Karen & Deb)
- Karen will be replacing Michael H. as Chief Judge for next week’s contest; Michael will mentor her instead.
- September 6th will be the next possible speech-a-thon date, if there ends up being low attendance planned for that week. Emi offered an alternative of a grab-bag meeting where assignments – speakers included – are drawn from a bag at the meeting. Emi participated in a grab-bag meeting at Valued Voices and it went REALLY well and was educational for all.
- Deb is training as new VPE. Karen will have her start scheduling now, under supervision, so she’ll understand the process. She has great plans for updating the spreadsheets.
- Spooky Tales is rescheduled for November 1st and plans are in the works to have it at the Gilbert Historical Museum. Winona will be the chair, taking point on signing up speakers and food contributions and coordinating decorations. There was a discussion on adding an impromptu exercise to the event, such as a group story with table topics timing.
- Michael H. plans to do the Moments of Truth module for the November 22nd meeting.
- Pablo volunteered as chair for the Christmas party this year.
Vice President Membership (Winona)
- No attendees for orientation tonight.
- First time guest Jeff submitted his application tonight.
- Winona will follow up with Paulette.
- Karen suggested changing new member induction ceremony to the same week as orientation so it can be promoted as a package. Emi so moved, Winona seconded and the motion passed.
Vice President Public Relations (Mike B.)
- Mike will offer photography services over the next 2-3 weeks. Some headshots need to be retaken.
- He plans to do a new video to promote Spooky Tales and an announcement in the papers.
Vice President Mentoring (Casey absent)
Treasurer (Liz absent)
- Renewals letters to go out on September 1st.
- Audit Committee will meet at Rio Rico restaurant this Sunday at 1:00 pm.
- Emi made an addition error on the dues schedule for August/September and it needs to be fixed for the guest packets.
- Emi to resend profile request to clarify this is a PR effort and should focus on the positives, for publishing on the club website.
Sergeant At Arms (Rahul)
- Hospitality committee on haitus.
- Venue search will resume after club contest. Trying to find something within a block or two.
- To address the issue of the lack of interest in the SAA role, Emi suggested having the SAA open the club meetings (call to order, pledge, mission statement, introduce presiding officer) so the position can be sold as a weekly opportunity to speak in front of the club.
Club Success Planning:
- 2 CC’s: Audrey 8/16/2016, Casey 12/31/2016
- 2 CC’s: Pablo 6/30/2017, Liz 6/30/2016
- 1 AC: Winona 9/6/2016
- 1 AC: Rahul 3/31/2016
- 1 CL/AL/DTM: Rahul (CL) 12/31/2016
- 1 CL/AL/DTM: Michael M (ALB) 12/31/2016
Meeting adjourned at 9:20 pm.
January 19 , 2016 Maverick Club Meeting at Sun Valley High School – 19 in attendance
Presiding Officer DeeLynn S
Karen R, CC Project 3 – Get to the Point , “Digital Photo Storage – What do you do?” shared a plan to corral those growing stacks of pictures we collect. Evaluation by Audrey D.
Casey B, CC Project ? “Casey Block Real Estate” detailed the current way to get the best from a real estate team whether you are buying or selling. Evaluation by DJ M.
Emi B, AC Storytelling -Project 3 The Moral of the Story – Sharing the tale of her youngster inventing in order to avoid homework and the cost. Winning evaluation by Rob McLeod.
Table Topics by David D playing “Fun and Crafts”
- Using her desert isle knowledge Winona made glue to build a raft to hold her and her animal to float off toward civilization
- Pablo packed native pottery signs to impress his love
- Winner as first time guest Jennifer regaled us with her commercial pitch to hire her craft show
Jennifer C and Michael P
- Toastmaster – Michael H
- Grammarian – Sheryl R
- General Evaluator – Rahul I
- Timer – Michael M
- Ah Counter – DeeLynn S
- Wordmaster – Winona P laid “Prolific” on our minds
- Word of Wisdom – taken from Ghandi presented by Nydia M
- Jokemaster – Winona P
Old Business & Reports
New member induction held this meeting with Kay and Nidia as members.
International & Evaluation Contest set for February 23, 2016
Adjourned 8:28 pm