Tonight was Maverick Toastmasters’ 6th annual Spooky Tales Speech & Costume Contest! It was held at the Gilbert Historical Museum.
Additional details and photos coming soon!
August 23, 2016 Maverick Club Humorous Speech and Table Topics Contests at Sun Valley High School – 13 total in attendance
Presiding Officer Michael M. led us through the pledge and club mission statement before introducing the Contest Chair Rahul I.
- Since there was only one contestant for the Humorous Speech, Rahul I. motioned to appoint Mike B. as our club Humorous Speech representative. The motion was seconded by Emi and was approved by a vote of the membership present.
- Contest Chair: Rahul I.
- Chief Judge: Karen R.
- Timers: Michael K. and Paul F.
Table Topics Contest:
Question: If you could change anything, what would it be?
- Contestant #1: Michael M.
Michael talked about how cancer affected so many people and therefore, he wanted there to be a cure for cancer.
- Contestant #2: Audrey D.
Audrey talked about how on her recent trip to Europe, she was confronted about our presidential elections. She decided she would change our candidates.
- Contestant #3: Liz S.
Liz initially wanted to require licensing to have children, realized that would never happen, then decided a good compromise would be to offer parenting classes. Liz would teach people how to be better parents.
- Contestant #4: Mike B.
Mike decided that social media, like Facebook and Twitter, were doing damage to our ability to communicate and think critically so he would choose to do away with social media.
- 2nd Place: Mike B.
- 1st Place: Liz S.
The contest was adjourned and Mike B. was introduced to practice his contest speech.
Mike B. “Some of My Best Friends”
Mike shared some stories from his animal friends at the Phoenix Zoo and how they had some very human-like characteristics.
A round-robin evaluation was provided for Mike’s speech.
Where did the vet stick that hand?!?!
- Liz motioned to accept Jeff S. and Mike K. into membership. Rob seconded the motion. A quick vote of the club membership present passed the motion. Welcome to the Maverick Family, Jeff S. and Mike K.!
- Michael H. talked about being the Club Growth Director at the International Convention in Washington, D.C. Some of his responsibilities at the convention were to attend district leader training and interviewing candidates. He had a great time at the convention.
- Paul F. presided over the congregation at church. During his earlier run-through, he was a little nervous but when the time came, his Toastmasters training kicked in and he did very well, having memorized over 12 minutes of his presentation.
- Liz S. talked about how Rob’s “KKK” (Kefir, Kombucha, and Kraut) speech changed her life. She had to create counter space for her kefir and in doing so, started decluttering her whole kitchen, which turned into decluttering the rest of the house. She’s already made several trips to Goodwill and is seeing great progress.
Club Humorous Speech & Table Topics Contests Next Week!
Sun Valley High School
Maverick held the International & Evaluation Contest
Brian Mosley was the guest speaker which we evaluated. He told of his grandfather and father living out Hemingway’s advice.
Sheryl – One Horrible, Awful, No Good Very Bad Day
Michael – KISS s Keep it Simple Stupid – Smile
Lisa – with the winning speech “Don’t Drink the Poison!”
September 29, 2015 Maverick Club Meeting at Sun Valley High School – 18 in attendance
Presiding Officer Liz Shaw
Leks Dominion, CC Inspire Your Audience – Project 10, titled “Hope is the Catalyst to Move Out of the Holocaust of Life,” won comparing the tale of his progress moving from death in his family and the atrocities of the German Death Camps. Evaluated by Casey Block.
David Douglas, AC The Entertaining Speaker project 2 – Resources for Entertainment, “Help Wanted” made us chuckle taking off on the chick sexing job. Winning evaluation by Mike Becko.
Table Topics by first timer Pablo Rodriquez with “The Day I Met Elvis.” Only he didn’t.
- Michael Heier would have loved to visit with Benjamin Franklin
- DeeLynn was proud of not fawning
- DJ McMurray would like to question Donald Trump and Hilary Clinton
- Rahul Iyer won by ending his discussion of meeting with Kissinger and Obama amidst gales of laughter with the line “He didn’t recognize me.”
- Karen Russ would have loved to talk with Laura Ingalls or her teacher sister
- Emi Bauer wanted to talk to Albert Einstein about his troubled schooling years
- Toastmaster – First timer Audrey Dieken
- Grammarian – DeeLynn Southwick
- General Evaluator – Liz Shaw
- Timer – Michael Millan
- Ah Counter – Michael Fritz
- Wordmaster – Michael Heier brought us “symbiosis – the living together of two dissimilar organisms”
- Word of Wisdom – Karen Russ
- Jokemaster – Emi Bauer
Business & Reports
Division Contest playoff Oct 17th at Tempe Christian Church
Audrey Dieken represents us at the Humorous Contest September 30 at Western International
Adjourned 8:29 pm
This event is open to all Toastmasters! Sign up for a potluck dish here.
Business owners, please consider a tax-deductible prize donation. Download the donation request letter.
August 25, 2015 Maverick Club Meeting at Sun Valley High School – 19 in attendance
Presiding Officer Liz Shaw
Michael Millan, Don’t Get Your Panties in a Knot – Told the tale of growing up in a family of mostly girls so picked up bad word choice. Third Place
Sheryl Ross, Take Another Step? – Delivered a day in the life of grandparents traveling with grandkids – Second Place
Audrey Dieken, A Job and A Man – Discussed the two main questions she receives on moving from the Midwest to AZ – First Place Winner
- David DeCelles
- Kathy Mc Clelland
- Suzanne Millan
- Steve Ross
- Chair Person – DeeLynn Southwick
- Chief Judge – Liz Shaw
- Timer – Kathy McClelland, Casey Block
- Sergeant of Arms – Rahul Iyer
Business & Reports
Sheryl Ross gave presentation of screen costs