October 18, 2016 Maverick Club Meeting at Sun Valley High School – 13 total in attendance including 3 guests
Meeting Theme: Academics
Substitute Sergeant At Arms Paul T. called the meeting to order, led the pledge and the club mission statement, and introduced the Presiding Officer, Vice President Education Deb M. After greeting the 3 guests, Deb then introduced Winona P. as the evening’s Toastmaster.
- First time visitor, Lauren D.
- First time visitor, Cheryl C.
- Return visitor, Praveen M.
- Toastmaster Moments was not called for tonight.
- Sheryl R. “You Thought What?”
Success/Communication Series: Mental Flexibility Module
In pursuit of her Advanced Communicator Gold Award, Sheryl led us through an exercise in mental flexibility, challenging us to look at things differently. The exercise included pairing up to read a scenario and decide whether statements that were made were provable or not based only on the information provided in the scenario. (Evaluated by Deb M.)
- Steve F. “How Many Snowflakes Does It Take to Build a Snowman?”
Competent Communication Manual, Project #1: The Ice Breaker
Just as each snowflake is unique, so too do our experiences make each of us unique. Some of Steve’s experiences include growing up in Denver, Colorado, going to college and majoring in accounting, traveling around the world and moving to Arizona, creating a family of a wife, two kids, and 3 dogs, and being involved in successful businesses culminating in his current career as a business coach. (Evaluated by Casey B.)
- If you could tach a class, what would it be and what would be on the syllabus?
Rob M. said it would definitely be emergency management and safety.
- What was the most memorable project, paper, or presentation?
Paul T. said that was his speech done for the humorous speech contest as Chewbacca where he disqualified for coming in under time after forgetting an entire section of his speech.
- What critique would you give of our educational system?
Mike K. said he would promote greater equality in the system with increased use of technology.
- Describe your favorite leader or professor.
Guest Lauren D. said her AP Psychology teacher in high school provided greater examples and created an enjoyable class. She was saddened that this teacher lost a battle to cancer two years later.
- What was the most worthless class you ever took?
Returning guest Praveen M. said there was no such thing as a worthless class; there is always some application for knowledge.
- Toastmaster – Winona P.
- Topicmaster – Paul F.
- General Evaluator – Liz S.
- Wordmaster – Emi B.
Word of the Day: pedant (noun) – a person who annoys other people by correcting small errors and giving too much attention to minor details
- Grammarian – Paul T.
- Ah Counter – Renee R.
- Timer – Rob M.
- Word of Wisdom – Michael K.
- Jokemaster – Paul T.
- Most Effective Evaluator: Casey B.
- Best Table Topics Speaker: Praveen M.
- Speech of the Day: Steve F.
- Spark Plug Award: Paul T. for taking on the Sergeant At Arms role for the week
Vice President Education Deb M. closed out the meeting.
Business & Reports:
- Spooky Tales Event 6:30 pm on 11/1 at the Gilbert Historical Museum!
- Flowers were sent to Suzanne M.’s family service on behalf of the club.